FFS2 (Enhanced Fast Filesystem) is the new filesystem by default on nearly all architectures, since OpenBSD 6.7.
- FFS2 is faster than its predecessor FFS when creating the filesystem,
as well as analyzing it with
- FFS2 uses 64-bit timestamps and block numbers; so it is not subject to the Y2038 bug.
- FFS2 supports very large partitions (>= 1TB, since 4.2).
- FFS2 first appeared in OpenBSD 4.2.
- OpenBSD 4.2 changelog
- CVS 1.57 for newfs
- CVS 1.82 for newfs
- OpenBSD 6.7
- newfs(8) - OpenBSD Manual Page
- fsck(8) - OpenBSD Manual Page
- Year 2038 problem